Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Paper Bead Butterfly Tutorial


Good morning! Well, here I am up early way before the kids on the school holidays. Ususally on the school holidays I sleep in til they get up, but this is the only way I get a bit of quiet "me" time. Ahhh...so peaceful.

Anyhoo, here's that little tutorial I promised. Now you'll have to excuse my kind of blurry photos, as I took them at night as I was making this little butterfly, but you'll get the idea...


First of all you cut a little strip of paper, as wide as you'd like the butterfly's body to be. This little one is about 2cm, but you can make it a bit wider for a slightly bigger bead. The length of this piece is around 12cm, but you can cut it longer...it will just make a "fatter" bead. Cut your strip into a triangular shape, and then start to roll it from the wider end, making sure you keep it fairly tight.

Once you've rolled it up, glue that last little pointed bit down, and you've got your bead...now wasn't that easy!


Next up you need to make some wings. I cut out a couple of little hearts from patterned paper, or you could use a punch.


Overlap your hearts and glue down your bead and voila! It looks like a butterfly!



Now all you need to do is make some antennae to finish it off. Don't look too closely at mine though, they are kind of dodgy! I just freehand cut the antennae shape (can't you tell?), but you could put a bit of rolled wire or anything there to finish that part off.


For the wings, instead of using hearts, you can also use flowers, just cut the petals into a wing shape, like I did with this one here. This is from a layout that I did at the start of the year. You can see how I've used a much wider piece of paper to make a bigger body for the butterfly...


Well, I hope you liked my little tutorial, and have fun making lots of paper bead butterflies! I've popped links to my other tutorials in my sidebar too, if you're ever looking for them later on.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great day :)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome, thanks Samantha. I cant wait to give it a go.

Renee77 said...

So cute! Can't wait to try!!!

Belinda said...

Thanks for sharing Sam. I love that adorable little butterfly. B-)

Martine said...

oh! that's so cute! I love it! gotta put it on my "to do" list! thanks!!

Debbie said...

Thanks for sharing this with us! Can't wait to try it out!

Leanne said...

This is so much fun! Something I might try with the kids!

Mara Campbell said...

so cute and so easy!!! I will definitely be trying this!

Natalie said...

ooooh, another idea of yours for me to store away for a rainy day....love it. And the LO is your last post....sorry been a bit lazy lately ;)...is just gorgeous. You attention to detail is amazing!!!

Melfield said...

You are so clever Samantha....thanks for sharing.....can't wait to try it out!

Hayles said...

What a great idea, thanks for sharing with us!!

Liz Weber said...

Just love your butterflies Sam, I have used that body a few times thanks to you.

Hope the holidays are going well? Great idea to get up before the kids for some "you" time, that's why I stay up late lol.

Thanks for the blog love and visit.

Have a great week!

Kelly Massman said...

Gorgeous! I'll be making one soon, I am sure! Thanks for the tutorial!

Kim said...

cool, thanks so much for the tutorial...will def use this one

Jasmine S said...

Well aren't you a clever chicky? These are just adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

So cute - thanks for the idea LOVE it

mbb said...

You are such a treasure for sharing so many wonderful ideas with us!

Aussie TM5 Thermomixer said...

Love this idea - the butterflies look amazing!!

Marelize said...

How clever are you! They look amazing. Thanks for sharing Samantha. :)

Jennie Garcia said...

I knew how to make this bead but I never thought of this!! I love it!! TFS!! Take Care!!
Jennie @ http://earthyscrap.blogspot.com/

Alanna said...

Just found this tutorial the Show Us Your Stuff blog tonight - love this Sam! I don't know how I've never seen your little "tutorials" links on the side bar! Off to check them all out now :)

Can't wait to give this a go!!

Blossom inch said...

this is awesome tutorial...I am going to try!

Anonymous said...

love this. I have been trying to find a way to make a paper bead butterfly for a craft I have been working on.

mila said...

Amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...